Valuable new development for Facebook Ads: Relevance Score
To help you better understand how relevant your ad is to its target audience and to create more relevant ads for your audiences, Facebook begin surfacing an ad relevance score.
How to use
While you should continue to focus on the objective of your ads and measuring against them, you can use the relevance score to:
- Lower the cost to reach an audience: put simply, the higher an ad’s relevance score is, the less it will cost to be delivered
- Test ad creative options before running a campaign: you can test different combinations and learn which combinations offer the highest relevance scores
- Optimize campaigns already in progress: while ad campaigns are running, you can monitor their relevance scores or audience needs to be refreshed
Why relevance matters
Taking relevance into account helps ensure that people see ads that matter to them, leading to a better experience for people and businesses alike. Understanding how competitive an ad is, relative to its competitors, has been a challenge for marketers. You can use the relevance score to improve the relevance of your ads, and therefore increase the competitiveness of your ads in the auction.
How relevance score is calculated
Scores for every ad are on a 1-10 point scale, and are based on the level of positive and negative feedback we expect your ad to receive from people in your target audience. The higher your relevance score is, the more relevant your ad is to your audience compared to other ads shown to them. When your ad’s score is high, it’s more likely to be shown to your audience than other ads, and you will pay less to reach more of the people who matter to you.
The inputs vary depending on the ad’s objective, but may include:
- Positive Feedback: the more video views, conversions, likes, shares, etc. Facebook expect your ad to get, the higher its score will be
- Negative Feedback: the more times Facebook expect people to hide or report your ad, the lower its score will be
While you should continue to focus on achieving your true business objectives, the ad relevance score serves as an additional metric to make your ads more relevant. With this new relevance score, you can better assess the competitiveness of your ad relative to others targeting the same audience, which can help lower your cost of delivery, test creatives before fully launching a campaign, or optimizing ads already in progress.
Any questions or more information? Feel free to contact us!
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Stay up to date via our monthly newsletter.